In 1944 Triumph company that had been bought by the Standard Motor Company. The Managing Director of the Standard Motor Company at that time, Sir John Black, commissioned the design of the Razoredge saloon. Mulliner's own Leslie Moore did most of the styling and engineering of the saloon which was built in traditional wooden frame with alloy panels. The final design, however, owes much to Triumph's own designer Walter Belgrove who insisted on changes.
The car was renamed the Renown in October 1949. It had an entirely new chassis based on the Standard Vanguard with pressed steel sections replacing the tubes previously used. The front suspension changed to coil springing. Although the 3-speed column change transmission was retained, from June 1950 an overdrive unit was offered as an option. Inside there was a new instrument layout. The bodies were all coach built by Mulliners of Bordesley Green, Birmingham then fitted to the chassis that was made by Standard Triumph in Coventry.
Of the 6501 produced (Mk1 TDB), fewer than 100 are known to have survived. It cost £991 including purchase tax.
Our Renown (Mk1 TDB) has never been restored. It has simply been maintained in running condition since new. It was first purchased in India, registered in Europe in 1953 and imported to the Netherlands in 1983. Original engine, service instruction manual and tools have remained with the car.
Are you interested? Send a mail