The 124 was born from Fiat's most versatile platform. From its roots came a coupe, a convertible, a sedan; it even lived on in perpetuity as the Russian Lada. The Spider and the coupe were both derived from the sedan, which was introduced in 1963. The 124 Spider was first introduced at the Turin Auto Show in 1966, after which it went on sale as a 1967 model. The 124AS Car is introduced ahead of the Coupe as the "124 Spider" and based on a shortened floorpan and suspension of the 124 Sedan; shorter than the Coupe, too. Single-carburettor 1438 cc engine, 4 or 5-speed gearbox, torque tube rear suspension. Single headlights. Radiator grille parallel slats. Badge on bonnet.
The 124AS began in 1966 and ended in 1969, and featured a 1.438cc four-cylinder. In total 32.327 124AS were made. 12.081 124AS were sold in Europe.
This 1967 Fiat 124 Spider was acquired by the previous owner in Canada as a partially-refurbished project in 2007 and was subsequently brought to completion over the following year. The car is finished in red over a black interior, and power comes from a 1,438cc inline-four paired with a five-speed manual transmission. Equipment includes a black soft top, a split chrome rear bumper, and 14″ Minilite-style wheels. This 124 Spider is offered with a top boot and Manitoba registration, listing the vehicle as a 1968 model.